Kupalle (Midsummer) Celebration in London
The Anglo-Belarusian Society invites its members and friends to the traditional Kupalle (Midsummer)celebration on Saturday 21 June 2014 at 4pm – 10pm in the garden of 39 Holden Road, London N12 8HS.
- Making flower crowns, the witch and decorating the wheel (we shall expect helpers to arrive with flowers at 2pm
- Welcome by Chair of the Anglo-Belarusian Society Brian Bennet
- Bag-pipe music (Jauhiien Baryshnikau from Belarus, see video)
- Games, songs and dancing
- Photo-booth for those willing to have a picture in traditional Belarusian costume
- Fern-flower (Paparać-kvietka) hunt (children)
- Jumping over the fire
- Flower crowns at the Dollis Brook
The Anglo-Belarusian Society takes all efforts to ensure that this will once again be a celebration in the true Belarusian ethnographical tradition. Please assist us if possible by bringing along flower-crowns and wearing Belarusian costumes. The use of the Belarusian language will be encouraged!
All gifts of cold food, both home-made and bought, will be welcome. Please note that there will NOT be a barbeque this year.
Offerings of wine, beer and soft drinks will also be gratefully received, but – please –NO SPIRITS.
There will be a collection to cover the expenses (£7 for members, £9 for non-members).
The evening will conclude at 10pm.